The project charter is an authorized document of the complete plan of the project. It allows the project managers to distribute and allocate different tasks and duties to different members of the team according to plan. A project charter template excel is a document that is made and authorized by the highest authorities of the project.
The higher authorities could be the chairman or the person owning the business who is proving the resources and budget. The project manager is not the person authorizing anything in the charter. He may provide his services in creating it, but the authorization is no part of his job
Table of Content
- What is the definition of Project Charter in the PMBOK Guide?
- Components of PMBOK® Project Charter
- In this article, we will see what is a project charter?
- PMI project charter template
- Why is it important and what are its main components of it?
Definition of Project Charter in PMBOK® Guide
A Project Charter is a document issued by the project initiator or sponsor that formally authorizes the existence of a project and provides a project manager with the authority to apply organizational resources to project activities. (PMBOK® Guide)
Format of Project Charter Template Excel?
The project charter is a detailed roadmap of the different stages of the project. It is basically the main aspect and backbone of any project.
Therefore, a charter template is an essential and very important document for all business types. It helps you keep on track and provide you with a plan to follow.
It mainly is one of the initial documents made at the beginning of the project. The charter template is an authorization to the manager to use the company resources to start the project.
It mainly is an internal type of document but could be made and authorized by external sponsors and stakeholders.
Also Read: Project Status Report
The Charter Includes the Following Components, Let’s Have a Look at Them
- Project objective
- Project goals
- Project needs and requirements
- Project description
- Expected risks and hazards
- Project expenses and budget
- Stakeholder register
- Project sponsor list
- Project Organization chart
- Project Manager details
What is the Purpose of a Project Charter?
The main objective of using a project charter template is to give authority to the manager to kick start the project according to the given plan and resources. This helps managers to give the best outcome and meet the project objective effectively.
- It not only serves as a guide it helps in making better decisions and saves you a lot of time and budget. Every year quite a high amount of money and resources go to waste due to mismanagement.
- The charter helps you to be well managed and organized. And keep you on top of your performance by keeping a firm hold on all the aspects of your project development.
- This document is also an authorized document showing that all the stakeholders are on the same page.
- It provides you with an overview of the project goals, scope, and objectives.
- It helps the managers to understand the needs and requirements of stakeholders and act as a guide for their role in the project.
PMI Project Charter Template
How to Create a Project Charter Template in Excel?
Now let us see how a charter is created. It mainly is made and signed by the stakeholders and sponsors. As. It serves as a guideline that is provided to the project managers after approval. The project managers sometimes play their part in charter making. But the authentication is exclusively only done by the higher members of the project.
- It is recommended to prepare the charter in the main meeting having all the important members present. This will allow you to eliminate any errors and will ensure that all the stakeholders and other members are on the same page without any obligations.
- The charter also makes sure that there is no issue in the plan of the project. Thus, it makes sure that the whole team is committed and agreed on the proposed plan.
- As the charter was signed by the authorities, it was then handed over to the selected manager to kick start and proceed with the project as planned.
- The person who produces the charter often mainly requires things like client agreement, business case, and statement of work.
Let’s Have a Look at the Format of the Project Charter Template
Project charter datasheet helps you to edit all the desired fields according to your business need. The changes you made here will be shown on the main page from where you can select the title and have the information relating to that particular TITLE.
What we Have in Datasheet Page
- Approval Date
- Revision Date
CONSTRAINTS (In Priority Order)
- Constraint Time
- Constraint Scope
PROJECT BENEFITS (Measurable Results)
Once you filled all the above fields accordingly, click on the charter main page now you will have all the information you put in the datasheet. As shown below picture by clicking on the title section you will be able to select the project title from the drop-down menu and all the information under that particular title will be on the min page.
Print a PDF Option
Once everything is ready you can create its PDF and make a print in just a single click. Print Option is given in the left bar at the bottom.
Project Charter and Business Case
The business case and project charter work side by side. Or you can say the business case is part of the project charter document.
The business case identifies and focuses on the objective of the project. It relates the goals with the objective of the project to provide a clear picture of the plan.
If a project is lack of business case that project will be unable to run smoothly. So, it is a must-have document for business development and success.
As we have seen that the project charter template excel is one of the essential parts of the project. Every project always must have a charter, without this the managers and the team will be lost.
So, you cannot neglect the importance of this amazing and most useful document. Consequently, the project charter is very important for the existence of your business project.
I hope this reading helped you understand the significant value and use of the Project Charter template.